Wednesday 30 January 2013

Country to Capital


I really should not be allowed to pick what races I want to do, this race required map reading and I can't read a map! After reading a few blog's about the race I was even more worried, would I ever end up in London. I think Stevie was shitting himself that I would get lost, he even offered to run the race with me.
In the end I was to run on my own, Stevie was too scared he was about to get chicked!  Well that's what am telling myself.

What a race, i like a wee drama and this race had plenty.
I took to the start line in my normal running kit and a few extra bits to keep me warm ( hat, gloves and arm warmers) i got plenty of funny looks. I don't think they are used to ladies wearing not many running cloths. Yes it was cold, but I live in Scotland so this was just on the chilly side. We would soon warm up after a couple of miles. Other runners had that many cloths on am sure they would be over heating after five minutes of running.
The race started and within a couple of strides my first drama had happened, my i pod went flying out of my pouch in my back pack. So I stopped to find it, running back up the pavement looking for it. With Stevie shouting at me to get running, well he could have helped me look for it. Thankfully a nice man had picked it up and was running back to the start with it. So I chased after him and got my i pod back.
The first bit was muddy and hard to get past other runners so i just settled in and waited for the opportunity to get past. It took me around forty minutes to get lost, which I thought was good going for me. Once back on track I would always go past a runner who I called Mr Tambourine man. I passed him a few times thinking I could almost kill him with the noise he was making if I had to run with him.
My next drama was getting to first check point to put water into my bottle, when I went to open it I didn't need to as I had no lid. I wonder if that went flying at the start too. Not to worry it wasn't hot so I would just use the water at the check points.
This was soon followed by getting lost again, passing Mr Tambourine man again. It was at this point I thought it was best to ask him if he knew the way, he said he did. So I decided I would run with him.
 Mr Tambourine man turned out to be called Andy and he saved my ass from getting  lost. But am not sure what he was all carrying but what a noise was coming from him. He sounded like a one man dance band. In the end I ran a fair bit with him and others who had all started following him. What a lovely man, without him I would never have made it on to the canal. So a huge thank you to him.
It was a really nice group that I was running in, we all chatted away. For once it was really nice just to forget that it was a race and enjoy the run. Although it was off road, I coped better than normal and the mud didn't bother me too much.
The next big drama was a small girl getting kicked up the bum by her horse which had spooked and jumped over a barbwire fence. Mr Tambourine man didn't stop so I didn't want to wait around and loose my mobile map so I went after him. Am sure the girl would be fine as she was still standing and walking around in pain I hope they found the horse.
We eventually arrived at the canal and it was time to say good bye to Mr Tambourine man, to say that I was glad to see the canal was an understatement. I may have showed far too much excitement at reaching the canal by having a wee dance and shout. The end was of the race was near, twenty odd miles but the chances of getting lost had nearly gone. Mr Tambourine man had told me to come off the canal at a sign saying Paddington thirteen miles. He said you couldn't miss it, he obviously he doesn't know me. I didn't miss the sign as I went right up to the sign nearly heading into the water. There was a small bridge that I was meant to go over and then take the left, which I did. Now I could relax as I knew it was a straight run into the finish.
Once I had hit the canal I had upped the pace but the legs just didn't want to play. I felt it was a real struggle but I did try to push on. I hadn't given myself enough time since the last race but I need to run on tired legs so this was good practise. I knew there was a chance that the race could have been a struggle earlier on so am pleased it didn't really start hurting until around five miles from home.
I finished second lady, so was pleased with that. I also had great cake during the race. It's a real shame they don't give you a cup of tea with it, I did ask! I meet some really nice people during the race too and thank you again to Mr Tambourine man or I would still be running.

No comments:

Post a Comment