Wednesday 11 July 2012

Connistion Marathon


This was to be my last long run before the 100km and a chance to get away for the weekend. A nice wee off road marathon. What i call off road and what the race organiser's call off round are two different things. My off road has nice wide paths that you can run on without fear of rocks or tree roots and no mud!

On the start line i hoped for a good run to feel strong throughout and finish like i had just been out for a wee run. Also i wanted to enjoy the race with no pressure on me and maybe the rain would stop. The start was fine two laps of the school playing field. Made so much more exciting with having to avoid the long jump pit on each lap. Then it was out onto the road taking in a nice step wee hill, that got the lungs working. Then the trouble started a small track along the forest so early on that other runners wanted past with not much room to allow them to pass.Thus forcing me to run at a pace i wasn't happy with and the tree roots coming at me quick and fast.
I really struggled with the down hills early on, too many runners rushing past me and making me nervous i was getting in there way. Am  more out of control than in control when running down hill and probably stopped dead a few times causing other runners to either pull on there brakes or jump to avoid me. It doesn't help when am scared that i would fall. I did get slightly better as the race went on.     
I ate well during the run, with Stevie feeding me throughout the race so i didn't need to stop at the feed stations. He was also there to push me across streams when i was taking my time getting across. Why was i wondered that my feet would get wet, as i think it had rained most of the run. Stevie was also there to make sure i behaved and didn't run too fast, no chance on a course like this. He was there to keep me company and the time flew past as i don't think i ever shut up. Well maybe on the step up hill's and the down hill's when i was too scared to chat. Maybe the odd swear word came out of my mouth. He was also there to make me laugh, which he did on many occasion's. Like the time he was having a go at me for taking my time on a step muddy descent and called me a big girls blouse. Oh how i laughed as i trotted past while he tried not to loose his shoes in the mud. He even managed to run into a sign post and smack his head off it. Not sure how he did it, to think he was meant to be looking after me!!

Early on i could feel something rubbing in my right shoe, by the end i had a nice big blister which was getting more uncomfortable to run on but i could still run. Thankfully it caused me not too much bother after the race and was able to walk and run on it.

I finished strong and felt good just like how i wanted too. With running with Stevie he stopped me upping the pace on the nice flat good surface at the end. Why hadn't the whole race been on this!
I did in some sort of twisted way enjoy the race, some great views and the company wasn't t too bad.  So thank you Stevie for making me laugh and feeding me the whole race. I so need to work on my off road maybe after the 100km i will hit the trails. Until then it is time for the dreaded taper!



1 comment:

  1. Enjoy the taper Izzy, and best of luck in Wales x

    ReplyDelete